Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety. Rezidor's hotels are also engaged with both local and international charity groups.
The Radisson Blu Astorija Hotel, Vilnius drafted a RB policy that includes:
- The hotel shall educate and facilitate employees on making a conscious decision in favour of environmental, ethical and social issues in their private and work lives.
- The hotel shall inform guests and provide them access to RB-related activities at the hotel.
- The hotel shall work together with property owners to find innovative solutions that satisfy mutual economic, environmental and social objectives.
- The hotel shall provide shareholders and investors with timely, accurate and transparent information on RB-related risks and opportunities.
- The hotel shall strive to purchase products that have a reduced environmental impact during their life-cycle. These products shall be purchased from suppliers that demonstrate environmental and social responsibility.
- The hotel shall require its managers to abide by local and international legislation, especially regarding labour laws, health and safety, human rights and the environment.
- The hotel shall take an active role in the international Responsible Business community and contribute to local communities.
- The hotel shall do its best to improve its performance in the areas of energy, water, chemicals and resource consumption and waste generation in order to reduce the hotel's negative impact on the environment.
RB activities and achievements of this hotel include:
- As part of Environmental Action Month, hotel staff donated blood for Lithuanian hospitals through the Lithuanian Blood Center.
- The hotel collaborated with the International Rotary Club in Vilnius for their foster-child summer camp by providing food, equipment and cooking, including sponsoring the final day and providing a cake.
- The hotel participated in Earth Hour by switching off all lights in the hotel.
- The hotel participated in the “See Your Dream” project that assists blind people in starting the professional career of their dreams.
- The hotel provided conference space to the Adamkiene Fund for underprivileged kids in Lithuania and collected for UNICEF in Lithuania.
- The hotel received Green Key - Ecolabel for Tourism certification.